Skookum Surf Co. lessons include a warm wetsuit and premium Surftech surfboard. Skookum surf lessons consist of two hours of certified, hands-on instruction. with a maximum of 5 students per Instructor you will get all the individual attention you need. We spend about 20 minutes on the beach covering the basics of surfing bio-mechanics, ocean safety and surfing etiquette. Then we head out in the water to put everthing together. Over time we have realized that the optimal amount of time for a surf session is 90 minutes. After that, even the most energetic folks are done, better to focus your stoke on the next day. There is time at the end of each lesson to ask any and all questions you may have. You are also welcome to come back to the shop and sign the guest book.
Beginner Lessons Cover:
- On the beach coverage of safety, ocean awareness & surf etiquette
- Basic surf skills such as paddling, pop-ups, and riding a surf board in white water
Intermediate Lessons Cover:
- Surf conditioning: paddling, balance
- Wave selection and lining up
- Duck dives and rolls
- Can be tailored to individual's learning requests
What do I Need to Do?
Call or email us to arrange the optimal time for your lesson. Be at the shop 20 minutes before your lesson to fill out forms and get sized for suits and boards *if you need waivers for unaccompanied minors please email us and we will forward those forms to you. Provide your own transportation to and from the beach.
What Do I Need to Bring?
- Towel - for changing & drying off
- Sunscreeen - preferably waterproof, put it on when you get to the shop so it soaks in. *Optional - bathing suit to wear under your suit, FYI - boardshorts look cool, but do not work well in a wetsuit
- Your sense of adventure!
- Some friends to share the experience with you
- A camera to capture the action
- Some family to act as the peanut gallery
Is Surfing in Longbeach Safe?
Yes, when you take a lesson with Skookum Surf Co. we strive to mitigate all major risks so you can focus on your fun. When you do not know what you are doing and are not prepared for a given environment, especially the ocean, you are NOT safe. Every year people need to be rescued (or worse) from beaches all over the world, because they are not aware of or prepared for inherrent risks. The ocean, particularly in the Pacific Northwest is cold and unpredicable. That said, Skookum Surf Co.'s surf lessons are designed to make you aware of and help you mitigate risks by providing:
- Supervision in the form of competent instructors
- Insulation in the form of quality well fitting wesuits
- Flotation in the form of a surfboards (wetsuits also help)
- Education on how to identify risks and deal with them (namely how to get out of rip currents)
- and perhaps most importantly, surfing in an uncrowded setting
One of the biggest and most under-rated risks in surfing is a hard object impact, as we are only surfing on the beach we do not have worry about rocks, so the biggest risk remaining is others surfers. Besides being warmer and more consistent than other beaches on the coast. This means less risk of collission with other surfers and ocean-users.
How Much Are Lessons?
- Group lessons (3+ people) are $75/person for 2hrs and include board & wetsuit.
- Semi Private (2 people) Lessons are $99/person for 2hrs and include board & wetsuit.
- Private (1 person) Lessons are $130/person for 90min and include board & wetsuit. *A private lesson also entitles you to a discount on gear rental, inquire for details
- We also offer lessons for groups of up to 15 people. Emailus or check out our club surf lesson page for logistics and pricing.
Call or email for lesson schedule
"Thank you so much for the great lesson, we all had a blast! Definitely a highlight of the summer!" -Katherine, Edmonds
"Thanks for making all my surf dreams come true" -Joe
"What an amazing first experience surfing. I had a blast and would recommend a lesson to anyone even remotely interested in the water/surfing. Low stress, high fun environment. I will be back for more for sure. I am hooked for life! SURF'S UP!" - Mike, Longbeach
"Man that was insane, I will remember it forever!" -Jenn
"These guys are the real deal, fun, safe, smart. We'll be back!" -Bryan, Portland